United Methodist Course of Study
Course of Study (COS) is a continuing education program by the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM) designed for Licensed Local Pastors, those who are certified for ordained ministry, or those who are under appointment in the United Methodist Church. This specialized theological studies program has been developed by GBHEM and is administered by a Seminary.
Information on Courses:
Saint Paul School of Theology’s Course of Study School is designed to be a year-round learning experience and is learning intensive. Some notable information regarding these specialized continued education courses is provided below:
- Registered students receive advance assignments (pre-work) and book lists in order to prepare.
- Students who do not complete and submit the assignments by the published deadlines will receive grade deductions.
- Students also receive further assignments during class sessions.
- Foundational and functional classes are taught, exposing students to both theory and application.
- Saint Paul School of Theology's Course of Study School offers these required courses in a variety of formats. Full-time and Part-time Licensed Local Pastors / Students may attend ANY of our sessions/satellite locations.
Interested students should note that the GBHEM requires certain prerequisites to be taken and passed prior to enrollment in COS courses. COS 121 Bible I Introduction and COS 122 Theological Heritage Introduction be taken and passed before any other courses maybe taken.
Saint Paul School of Theology COS typical session information is included below:
- Summer Session – Beginning in 2018, Course of Study will be offered for two weeks in July. Each course is one week long (Mon - Fri) with two courses offered per day.
- Winter Session – Beginning in 2019, Course of Study will be offered as a HYBRID course that starts with online engagement in November and ends with three days of in-class instruction in January.
- Fall and Spring – Course of Study will be offered as weekend sessions.
Information on Upcoming COS Session Graduation:
2020 and 2021 Graduation information coming soon. Tentative date is tbd due to Covid-19,
- Classes for Summer 2020, Fall 2020, Winter 2021, Spring 2021, Summer 2021, will all be held online in both a synchronous and asynchronous format. The student is able to take only 1 one class per session, and up to 4 four classes during the four summer 2021 term sessions.
- Students are allowed up to 4 four classes per year. Any more classes than the four, need prior approval.
- The "online" classes combine a pre assignment, online forums to interact with your instructor and students, 10 ten hours of face to face ZOOM instruction at the time specified with cameras on, a post assignment.
- IF YOU ARE A NEW STUDENT TO SAINT PAUL COS, PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR TRANSCRIPT SHOWING YOU HAVE TAKEN THE PRE-REQUISITES COS 121 AND COS 122.
The United Methodist Book of Discipline provides guidelines for local pastors. Some of the basics include:
- Make initial contact with an elder / deacon in your local parish.
- Read The Christian as Minister (available from Cokesbury).
- Visit with your district superintendent.
- Make contact with your district committee on ordained ministry for help with the inquiry and discernment process. A mentor will be assigned to you for guidance and supervision.
- If your ministry decision is affirmed and a setting is available, you may be appointed to a part-time or full-time ministry setting. Full-time local pastors are required by the Discipline to complete FOUR 4 Course of Study classes per calendar year. Part-time local pastors are required to complete TWO 2 classes per calendar year. ANY MORE CLASSES WILL NEED APPROVAL
- Attend licensing school facilitated by your annual conference’s board of ordained ministry.
- Register to attend Course of Study School
New Course Goals
The New Course Goals was prepared by the GBHEM. It defines the goals of each class in the basic Course of Study program.
Part-Time Ministerial Leader (PML) Course of Study (COS) is a practical theology curriculum designed for Part-Time Local Pastors (PTLP) entering ministry following Licensing School. PML curriculum may also be used for any ministerial leader as deemed necessary for pulpit supply of Certified Lay Ministry (CLM).
You need to have completed Conference Licencing School in 2017 or 2018, a complete file, complete MO on-line Boundaries Training, must attend a Briefing and a Methodism Comprehension Assignment.
You can also look at https://www.moumethodist.org/pml or contact Jenny Gragg, 573-777-1213, email@example.com
Summer & Winter Hotel Information: This is for the area near the Saint Paul Campus at Church of the Resurrection. (Overland Park, Leawood, etc)
Oakwood WaterWalk - Overland Park
11250 Glenwood St.
Overland Park, KS 66211
This is an extended stay place, fully furnished w/ kitchen & all kitchen accessories. Build your own breakfast included! Great to split with other roomies. BRAND NEW!
Hotel Apartment Suite Type
1 – 6 nights
7 - 29 nights
30 + nights**
One Bedroom Hotel Apartment
Two Bedroom Hotel Apartment
Three Bedroom Hotel Apartment
Click HERE for many other COS & Seminary housing options for Summer & Winter that is near the Leawood, Saint Paul Campus.
Kansas City / Platte Woods Spring & Fall Hotel Information:
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport (Platte Woods area)
11820 NW Plaza Circle
Kansas City, Missouri 64153
Pricing: (Rate information updated as of 1/30/20.)
(Rates from February 19, 2020 through October 26, 2020.)
$89.99 per night, single/double occupancy
Make reservations online at https://www.marriott.com/events/start.mi?id=1580325042159&key=GRP or by calling 816-464-2424.
Last Day to Book: Wednesday, October 14, 2020
The corporate rate is a discount of 10% off regular rates (LSPB king / LSPA double queen)
**rate includes our complimentary hot breakfast**
The tax rate is currently 16.35% plus $1.74 license fee/city development fee
Check-in time is 3pm, Check-out time is 12noon
La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Kansas City Airport (Airport/Platte Woods area)
6901 NW 83rd Street
Kansas City, Missouri 64152
Pricing: (Rate information updated as of 1/28/20.)
(Rates from January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020.)
20% discount on rates automatically
Make reservations online at https://wyndhamhotels.com/hotels/52935?corporate_id=1000044286
or by calling 816-533-4479.
Other hotels that are nearby but we don’t have discounted rates with include the following:
Extended Stay America Kansas City Airport-Tiffany Springs: 816.891.8500
Sleep Inn Kansas City International Airport: 816.891.0111
Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport: 816.880.9700
Embassy Suites Kansas City International Airport: 816.891.7788
Hays Spring & Fall Hotel Information:
TRY THIS LINK FOR MANY HOTELS IN HAYS: https://groups.guestreservations.com/141955604/EventPage5443915
Fairfield by Marriott
377 Mopar Drive
Hays, KS 67601
$100.00, w breakfast, Wi-Fi, call hotel to make res. Reservation Deadline: 2 weeks prior to arrival date
Hampton Inn Hays-North of I-70
4002 General Hays Rd.
Hays, KS 67601
For reservations, call 785-621-4444 and ask for the Saint Paul School of Theology group rate.
Reservation Deadline: 2 weeks prior to arrival date
Meals are included for all courses & are part of your tuition fee.
Spring & Fall terms:
Kansas City/Platte Woods location include:
Saturday: “to go” lunch
Hays location include:
Friday: lunch & dinner
Springfield and Oklahoma City locations include:
Friday and Saturday: lunch
Winter & Summer terms:
Monday – Friday: lunch
COS PML Columbia Hotels:
Costs are listed per course. Registration fee is due when you submit your registration form. Full payment is due on the Payment Due Date listed on the registration form. Payment can be submitted online or by check. Check payments should be RECEIVED by the Payment Due Date. Tuition fee includes the meals if provided (none due to Covid / online learning).
SUMMER AND FALL 2020, WINTER, SPRING, SUMMER 2021:
Registration Fee $75 per course (non-refundable)
Tuition $300 per course - THIS IS AN INCREASE
To pay by check, please mail check payment with either your Registration Form or the Payment Remittance Form to:
Saint Paul School of Theology
Attn: Course of Study
13720 Roe Ave, Bldg C, C139
Leawood, KS 66224
To pay online, students (or anyone making a payment on the student’s behalf) can make a payment as follows:
- Enter amount and Select “Continue”
- Enter personal information (please include email address for payment confirmation)
- Select “Process”
- Follow the remaining prompts and keep a record of your confirmation #
Students may request a copy of their OFFICIAL COS TRANSCRIPT by emailing Pamela Frost at the General Board of Higher Education Ministry at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your Full Name and Annual Conference and PID if know in the email.
Course of Study Registrar, Division of Ordained Ministry
General Board of Higher Education and Ministry
The United Methodist Church
Office: (615) 340-7416
Most Annual Conferences offer some form of financial assistance in the form of scholarship or reimbursement. For specifics to your Conference, please contact your DS or Annual Conference Registrar.
- Students in the Great Plains Conference, visit www.greatplainsumc.org/boomscholarships
- Students in the Arkansas Conference, visit www.arumc.org/financial-assistance/
- Students in the Mountain Sky Conference, visit www,mtnskyumc.org/forms , complete the Ministerial Education Fund App found under Clergy & Candidacy Forms.
- Students in the Iowa Conference, fill out the Iowa Annual Conference Board of Ordained Ministry Scholarship Form.
- Students in the Kansas Conference, visit KAUMF regarding the Pass the Torch Scholarship/Loan Fund http://www.kaumf.org/page.php?id=89&cid=73
- Students in the MO Conference, visit https://missouri-reg.brtapp.com/EducationGrantApplication
- Native American Ministries COS scholarship., https://methodist.smapply.io/prog/NAMCOS/ ; https://www.gbhem.org/clergy/licensing-course-of-study/; email@example.com.
2021 Spring COS Schedule - Online/Zoom
ALL SUMMER 2021 CLASSES ARE ONLINE (no on campus instruction)
2021 SUMMER COS Schedule - Online/Zoom (4 sessions, starting 6/28 & wrapping up 8/13).
Enter the info onto this fillable pdf form, then save to your desktop with a different name. Then print out and mail, or forward your form via email to your DS & LPR where they may sign digitally. Pay your $75 reg fee via this https://goo.gl/yTS4KN . Email me your completed form. I then manually register you and send you a detailed confirmation.
*Note: COS Students do NOT have access to Populi. You may have received an email from Populi saying you are registered, which is true, but you can NOT click on the link in that email. It is a new student management system, & it automatically sends an email when you add/drop a class. You will still access MOODLE in the same manner as the past for your CLASS. The Booklist / Advance Assignments link below will give you the correct books and assignments for the Winter & Spring.
COS Curriculum Course # Checklist - COS 121 & 122 prereq.
PML PROGRAM - Schedule & Registration Forms:
PART-TIME MO MINISTERIAL LEADERS- PML COS CERTIFICATE PROGRAM – ONLY MISSOURI CONFERENCE!
|PML COS SPRING 2021 SCHEDULE|
|GROUP||Course #||MOODLE Online Start Date||ZOOM classroom mtg Dates||Registration & Reg Fee Deadline||Drop Date|
|TWO & Three||COS 124||3/26/21||4/30-5/1/21||3/12/21||3/26/21|
Dr. Lucas Endicott
Regional Director of Course of Study School
Saint Paul School of Theology
Course of Study Coordinator
Saint Paul School of Theology
Our mailing and physical address is:
Saint Paul School of Theology - COS
13720 Roe Ave, Bldg C
Leawood, KS 66224
MAKE A PAYMENT
To pay ONLINE (via our Vanco payment portal, which will take a credit/debit card or bank account info) students (or anyone making a payment on the student’s behalf) can make a payment as follows:
Enter $ Amount and Select “Continue"
Enter personal information (please include email
and address for payment confirmation)
Follow the remaining prompts and keep a record of your confirmation #
If mailing a CHECK, please send it directly to our Bank at the following address:
Saint Paul School of Theology at Commerce Bank
P. O. Box 843740
Kansas City, MO 64184-3740