United Methodist Course of Study School
The UMC Course of Study (COS) School is a five-year continuing education program designed for Licensed Local Pastors, those who are certified for ordained ministry, or those who are under appointment in the United Methodist Church. The program was developed by the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM) and is administered by approved seminaries such as Saint Paul School of Theology.
Saint Paul School of Theology's UMC Course of Study
Our UMC Course of Study School prepares pastoral leaders for local church ministry. This school is designed to be a year-round learning experience and is learning intensive. Within our program, foundational and functional classes are taught, exposing students to both theory and application. Additionally, our Course of Study School offers all 20 courses in a variety of formats in multiple locations.
Upon completion of registration, students will receive book lists and advance assignments, or pre-work, that is to be completed by the given deadline. Students who do not submit the pre-work by the given deadline will receive grade deductions. In addition to pre-work, students will also receive further assignments during class sessions.
Students interested in the Saint Paul UMC Course of Study School should note that the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM) requires certain prerequisites to be taken and passed prior to enrollment in COS courses. COS 121 Bible I Introduction and COS 122 Theological Heritage Introduction must be taken and passed before any other courses maybe taken.
UMC Course of Study School Sessions:
Saint Paul School of Theology offers multiple sessions throughout the year. These courses are offered in a variety of formats, and students may attend any of our sessions/satellite locations.
- Summer Session: Course of Study will be offered for two weeks in July. Each course is one week long (Mon - Fri) with two courses offered per day.
- Winter Session: Beginning in 2019, Course of Study will be offered as a HYBRID course that starts with online engagement in November and ends with three days of in-class instruction in January.
- Fall and Spring: Course of Study will be offered as weekend sessions.
If mailing a CHECK, please send it directly to our Bank at the following address, and make sure your name, semester/term & class is listed on the check:
Saint Paul School of Theology at Commerce Bank
P. O. Box 843740
Kansas City, MO 64184-3740
To pay online, students (or anyone making a payment on the student’s behalf) can make a payment as follows:
- Enter amount and Select “Continue”
- Enter personal information (please include email address for payment confirmation)
- Select “Process”
- Follow the remaining prompts and keep a record of your confirmation #
If you have been giving an spst email address (newer students), you may log into your student account in populi and pay there.
Costs are listed per course. Registration fee is due when you submit your registration form. Full payment is due on the Payment Due Date listed on the registration form. Payment can be submitted online or by check. Check payments should be RECEIVED by the Payment Due Date. Tuition fee includes the meals if provided (none due to Covid / online learning).
SUMMER AND FALL 2020, WINTER, SPRING, SUMMER 2021, FALL 2021:
Registration Fee $75 per course (non-refundable, non-transferable)
Tuition $300 per course
- Classes for Summer 2020, Fall 2020, Winter 2021, Spring 2021, Summer 2021, Fall 2021 will all be held online in both a synchronous and asynchronous format. The student is able to take only 1 one class per session, and up to 4 four classes during the four summer 2021 term sessions.
- Students are allowed up to 4 four classes per year. Any more classes than the four, need prior approval.
- The "online" classes combine a pre assignment, online forums to interact with your instructor and students, 10 ten hours of face to face ZOOM instruction at the time specified with cameras on, a post assignment.
- IF YOU ARE A NEW STUDENT TO SAINT PAUL COS, PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR TRANSCRIPT SHOWING YOU HAVE TAKEN THE PRE-REQUISITES COS 121 AND COS 122.
Summer Session – Beginning in 2018, Course of Study will be offered for two weeks in July. Each course is one week long (Mon - Fri) with two courses offered per day.
Winter Session – Beginning in 2019, Course of Study will be offered as a HYBRID course that starts with online engagement in November and ends with three days of in- class instruction in January.
Fall and Spring – Course of Study will be offered as weekend sessions.
The United Methodist Book of Discipline provides guidelines for local pastors. Some of the basics include:
- Make initial contact with an elder / deacon in your local parish.
- Read The Christian as Minister (available from Cokesbury).
- Visit with your district superintendent.
- Make contact with your district committee on ordained ministry for help with the inquiry and discernment process. A mentor will be assigned to you for guidance and supervision.
- If your ministry decision is affirmed and a setting is available, you may be appointed to a part-time or full-time ministry setting. Full-time local pastors are required by the Discipline to complete FOUR 4 Course of Study classes per calendar year. Part-time local pastors are required to complete TWO 2 classes per calendar year. ANY MORE CLASSES WILL NEED APPROVAL
- Attend licensing school facilitated by your annual conference’s board of ordained ministry.
- Register to attend Course of Study School
New Course Goals
The New Course Goals was prepared by the GBHEM. It defines the goals of each class in the basic Course of Study program.
Part-Time Ministerial Leader (PML) Course of Study (COS) is a practical theology curriculum designed for Part-Time Local Pastors (PTLP) entering ministry following Licensing School. PML curriculum may also be used for any ministerial leader as deemed necessary for pulpit supply of Certified Lay Ministry (CLM).
You need to have completed Conference Licencing School in 2017, 2018, 2019 or 2020, a complete file, complete MO on-line Boundaries Training, must attend a Briefing and a Methodism Comprehension Assignment.
You can also look at https://www.moumethodist.org/pml or contact Jenny Gragg, 573-777-1213, email@example.com
Summer & Winter Hotel Information: This is for the area near the Saint Paul Campus at Church of the Resurrection. (Overland Park, Leawood, etc)
Oakwood WaterWalk - Overland Park
11250 Glenwood St.
Overland Park, KS 66211
This is an extended stay place, fully furnished w/ kitchen & all kitchen accessories. Build your own breakfast included! Great to split with other roomies. BRAND NEW!
Hotel Apartment Suite Type
1 – 6 nights
7 - 29 nights
30 + nights**
One Bedroom Hotel Apartment
Two Bedroom Hotel Apartment
Three Bedroom Hotel Apartment
Click HERE for many other COS & Seminary housing options for Summer & Winter that is near the Leawood, Saint Paul Campus.
Kansas City / Platte Woods Spring & Fall Hotel Information:
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport (Platte Woods area)
11820 NW Plaza Circle
Kansas City, Missouri 64153
Pricing: (Rate information updated as of 1/30/20.)
(Rates from February 19, 2020 through October 26, 2020.)
$89.99 per night, single/double occupancy
Make reservations online at https://www.marriott.com/events/start.mi?id=1580325042159&key=GRP or by calling 816-464-2424.
Last Day to Book: Wednesday, October 14, 2020
The corporate rate is a discount of 10% off regular rates (LSPB king / LSPA double queen)
**rate includes our complimentary hot breakfast**
The tax rate is currently 16.35% plus $1.74 license fee/city development fee
Check-in time is 3pm, Check-out time is 12noon
La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Kansas City Airport (Airport/Platte Woods area)
6901 NW 83rd Street
Kansas City, Missouri 64152
Pricing: (Rate information updated as of 1/28/20.)
(Rates from January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020.)
20% discount on rates automatically
Make reservations online at https://wyndhamhotels.com/hotels/52935?corporate_id=1000044286
or by calling 816-533-4479.
Other hotels that are nearby but we don’t have discounted rates with include the following:
Extended Stay America Kansas City Airport-Tiffany Springs: 816.891.8500
Sleep Inn Kansas City International Airport: 816.891.0111
Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport: 816.880.9700
Embassy Suites Kansas City International Airport: 816.891.7788
Meals are included for all courses.
Spring & Fall terms:
Kansas City/Platte Woods location include:
Saturday: “to go” lunch
Winter & Summer terms:
Monday – Friday: lunch
COS PML Columbia Hotels:
See the attached for a bit more info on the Saint Paul Master of Arts in Christian Ministry degree
Please contact Shannon Hancock in our Saint Paul Admissions Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 913-253-5084.
Enter the info onto this fillable pdf form, then save to your desktop with a different name. Forward your form via email to your DS & LPR where they may sign digitally, or mail to them. Pay your $75 reg fee. Email me your completed form. I then manually register you and send you a detailed confirmation & new credentials. Fall - confirmations made after 7/19/21, registration ending 9/1/21.
Our mailing and physical address is:
Saint Paul School of Theology - COS
13720 Roe Ave, Bldg C, Leawood, KS 66224
Information on Upcoming COS Session Graduation:
2020 and 2021 Graduation information coming soon. Tentative date is tbd due to Covid-19,