Course of Study is a program of the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry, administered by the seminary, for the purpose of educating licensed local pastors in the United Methodist Church.
The Saint Paul Course of Study School offers a variety of formats. Full-time and Part-time students may attend ANY of the sessions.
Summer Session-BEGINNING 2018, 2 Weeks in July – each course is 1 week long (Mon – Fri) with 2 courses offered per day
Winter Session-2 Weeks in January – each course is 1 week long (Mon – Fri)
Fall and Spring–Weekend Sessions
Foundational and functional classes are taught, exposing students to both theory and application.
Course of Study School is designed to be a year-round learning experience. Registered students receive advance assignments and book lists from which to prepare. Students who do not complete and submit the assignments by the published deadlines will receive grade deductions. Students also receive further assignments during class sessions.
- DATE AND COURSE CHANGES FOR SPRING TERM – HAYS! The first weekend of classes for the Spring term in Hays, KS has been moved from March 9-10, 2018 to March 2-3, 2018. With the date change, the Registration Deadline, Withdrawal Deadline, Advance Assignment Deadline, and Payment Due Date have all been moved up 1 week. In addition, 2 additional courses have been added as options in the Spring term: COS 421 and COS 523
- COURSES ADDED FOR FALL TERM – HAYS! COS 122 and COS 324 has been added as additional course options in the Fall term in our Hays, KS location
- If a Local Pastor wishes to take more than four courses in one year, you must obtain written approval from: The DS, LPR, the Director of the Regional School and from the Assistant General Secretary at GBHEM. All written approvals should be submitted along with your course registration form. Effective January 1, 2017, if a student enrolls in more than four (4) courses per calendar year without receiving ALL approvals listed above, any courses taken over four (4) will not be recognized on your transcript and will not be counted towards completion of the Basic Course of Study. Please complete this form to start the approval process.
- Krista Kiger will not be providing writing or proofreading assistance for 2018.
LOCAL PASTOR GUIDELINES
The United Methodist Book of Discipline provides guidelines for local pastors. Some basics include:
- Make initial contact with an elder / deacon in your local parish.
- Read The Christian as Minister (available from Cokesbury).
- Visit with your district superintendent.
- Make contact with your district committee on ordained ministry for help with the inquiry and discernment process. A mentor will be assigned to you for guidance and supervision.
- If your ministry decision is affirmed and a setting is available, you may be appointed to a part-time or full-time ministry setting. Full-time local pastors are required by the Discipline to complete four Course of Study classes per calendar year. Part-time local pastors are required to complete two classes per calendar year.
- Attend licensing school facilitated by your annual conference’s board of ordained ministry.
- Register to attend Course of Study School
PRACTICAL LEARNING SEMINARS
If you didn’t get a chance to attend a seminar that you were interested in, please select the link below to download a recording of the seminar. You will need to download the seminar to view it in its entirety.
Rev. Jeremy Basset
The Bible through a Missional Lens
July 26, 2017
Dr. Mike Graves
Improving Our Preaching
August 2, 2017
New Course Goals
The New Course Goals was prepared by the GBHEM. It defines the goals of each class in the basic Course of Study program.
New Curriculum Exchange Credits
The New Curriculum Exchange Credits document shows you how the courses you have already completed compare with the new curriculum. This will assist you in planning which courses you need to complete the program.
HOUSING & MEALS
Summer & Winter Hotel Information
Click HERE for seminary commuter housing options.
Kansas City Spring & Fall Hotel Information
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport
11820 NW Plaza Circle
Kansas City, MO 64153
For reservations, call 816-464-2424 and ask for the Saint Paul School of Theology group rate or go to www.marriott.com/mcifa – select your arrival and departure dates; check the box “special rates” and in the “group code” box type in group code: SPSSPSA
Reservation Deadline: 3 weeks prior to arrival date
February 22 – 24, 2018: $87 per night plus tax
March 15 – 17, 2018: $87 per night plus tax
October 4 – 6, 2018: $87 per night plus tax
November 1 – 3, 2018: $84 per night plus tax
La Quinta Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport
6901 North West 83rd St
Kansas City, MO 64152
For reservations, call 816-587-6262 and ask for the Saint Paul School of Theology group rate.
Reservation Deadline: 3 weeks prior to arrival date
February 22 – 24, 2018: $89 per night plus tax
March 15 – 17, 2018: $89 per night plus tax
October 4 – 6, 2018: $89 per night plus tax
November 1 – 3, 2018: $89 per night plus tax
Other hotels nearby but we don’t have discounted rates with include:
Extended Stay America Kansas City Airport – Tiffany Springs: 816.891.8500
Sleep Inn Kansas City International Airport: 816.891.0111
Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport: 816.880.9700
Embassy Suites Kansas City International Airport: 816.891.7788
Meals are included for all courses.
Spring & Fall terms:
Kansas City and Hays locations include:
Friday: lunch & dinner
Saturday: “to go” lunch
Springfield and Oklahoma City locations include:
Winter & Summer terms:
Monday – Friday: lunch
Course of Study Graduation will be held on Friday, July 20, 2018 at 5:30pm at United Methodist Church of the Resurrection. Our featured speaker is Jane Boatwright Wood, President of the Foundation for Evangelism.
If you are scheduled to complete basic Course of Study this year, please complete the Graduation Form to let me know so I can audit your transcript to make sure you are not missing any courses and include you on information regarding the graduation ceremony this summer. Friends and family are welcome to attend!
TUITION & FEES
Costs are listed per course. Full payment is due on the Payment Due Date listed on the registration form. Payment can be submitted online or by check. Check payments should be RECEIVED by the Payment Due Date.
Registration Fee $ 75 per course (non-refundable)
Tuition $250 per course
MAKE A PAYMENT
To pay by check, please mail check payment with either your Registration Form or the Payment Remittance Form to:
Saint Paul School of Theology
Attn: Course of Study
4370 W 109th Street, Ste 300
Overland Park, KS 66211-1397
To pay online, students (or anyone making a payment on the student’s behalf) can make a payment as follows:
- Enter amount and Select “Continue”
- Enter personal information (please include email address for payment confirmation)
- Select “Process”
- Follow the remaining prompts and keep a record of your confirmation #
Students may request a copy of their COS transcript by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name and Annual Conference in the email.
GENERAL BOARD OF HIGHER EDUCATION & MINISTRY (GBHEM)
- For information about the GBHEM online COS offerings, visit www.gbhem.org/cos. You will need Form 110 (Basic) or Form 111 (UM Studies/ACOS).
SCHOLARSHIP and FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE INFORMATION
Most Annual Conferences offer some form of financial assistance in the form of scholarship or reimbursement. For specifics to your Conference, please contact your DS or Annual Conference Registrar.
- For students in the Great Plains Conference, visit www.greatplainsumc.org/boomscholarships
- For students in the Arkansas Conference, visit www.arumc.org/financial-assistance/
- For students in the Rocky Mountain Conference, visit www.rmcumc.org/forms and complete the Ministerial Education Fund Application found under Clergy and Candidacy Forms
- For students in the Iowa Conference, visit www.iaumc.org/files/tables/content/445560/fields/files/9c1ed609cb434e7cb6d34300a8fb6da5/scholarship+application+form+2016+fillable.pdf