Course of Study is a program of the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry, administered by the seminary, for the purpose of educating licensed local pastors in the United Methodist Church.
The Saint Paul Course of Study School offers a variety of formats.
Summer Session-4 Weeks in July/August (Part-time and Full-time local pastors)
Winter Session-2 Weeks in January (Full-time and Part-time local pastors)
Fall and Spring–Weekend Sessions (Part-time local pastors)
Foundational and functional classes are taught, exposing students to both theory and application.
Course of Study School is designed to be a year-round learning experience. Registered students receive advance assignments and book lists from which to prepare. Students who do not complete and submit the assignments by the published deadlines will receive grade deductions. Students also receive further assignments during class sessions.
- For classes beginning after September 1, 2017, the required texts and advance assignments will change. Updated book lists and advance assignments for Fall 2017 courses will be available online after the New Year. Exception: COS 324 Preaching Required texts and advance assignment changes will be effective for Summer 2017.
- If a Local Pastor wishes to take more than four courses in one year, you must obtain written approval from: The DS, LPR, the Director of the Regional School and from the Assistant General Secretary at GBHEM. All written approvals should be submitted along with your course registration form. Effective January 1, 2017, if a student enrolls in more than four (4) courses per calendar year without receiving ALL approvals listed above, any courses taken over four (4) will not be recognized on your transcript and will not be counted towards completion of the Basic Course of Study.
- Registration forms for courses in Hays, KS beginning Fall 2017 are now available.
Housing & Meals
Summer & Winter Hotel Information
Click HERE for seminary commuter housing options.
Kansas City Spring & Fall Hotel Information
Chase Suite Hotel Kansas City
9900 NW Prairie View Rd
Kansas City, Missouri 64153
For reservations, call 816-891-9009 and ask for Saint Paul School of Theology preferred rate.
Room rate of $59 plus taxes for Studio Suite and $89 plus taxes for Two Bedroom Suite
Rate includes daily breakfast, M – Th social reception, WiFi, and full-sized kitchens in suites
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport
11820 NW Plaza Circle
Kansas City, MO 64153
For reservations, call 816-464-2424 and ask for the Saint Paul School of Theology group rate or go to www.marriott.com/mcifa – select your arrival and departure dates; check the box “special rates” and in the “group code” box type in group code: SPSSPSA
Reservation Deadline: 3 weeks prior to arrival date
March 9 – 11, 2017: $89 per night plus tax
April 6 – 8, 2017: $89 per night plus tax
October 5 – 7, 2017: $84 per night plus tax
November 2 – 4, 2017: $82 per night plus tax
Meal Information: Spring & Fall Kansas City
$50 per course.
Cash or check made payable to Saint Paul School of Theology.
Friday: lunch & dinner
Saturday: “to go” lunch
Snacks and beverages
If you do not wish to partake in the meals made available by Saint Paul, please email email@example.com to notify that you are making separate dining arrangements. Should you choose to leave property during lunch and dinner breaks; it is your responsibility to return to class on time.
Local Pastor Guidelines
The United Methodist Book of Discipline provides guidelines for local pastors. Some basics include:
- Make initial contact with an elder / deacon in your local parish.
- Read The Christian as Minister (available from Cokesbury).
- Visit with your district superintendent.
- Make contact with your district committee on ordained ministry for help with the inquiry and discernment process. A mentor will be assigned to you for guidance and supervision.
- If your ministry decision is affirmed and a setting is available, you may be appointed to a part-time or full-time ministry setting. Full-time local pastors are required by the Discipline to complete four Course of Study classes per calendar year. Part-time local pastors are required to complete two classes per calendar year.
- Attend licensing school facilitated by your annual conference’s board of ordained ministry.
- Register to attend Course of Study School
Course of Study Revised Curriculum
The Course of Study Basic Five-Year Curriculum has been revised by the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM). The new curriculum took effect January 2015. You will note that the Course Schedule reflects the new course numbers and names.
New Course Goals
The New Course Goals was prepared by the GBHEM. It defines the goals of each class in the basic Course of Study program.
New Curriculum Exchange Credits
The New Curriculum Exchange Credits document shows you how the courses you have already completed compare with the new curriculum. This will assist you in planning which courses you need to complete the program.
MAKE A PAYMENT
Students (or anyone making a payment on the student’s behalf) can make a payment as follows:
- Enter personal information (please include email address for payment confirmation)
- Select “Additional Fees” and then “Course of Study”
- Enter amount
- Select payment method and start date
- Note start date cannot be current date
- Select “Next”
- Enter payment information and confirm payment